Health Research Ethics Board of Alberta| Board of Record Agreement
As of August 1, 2019, investigators submitting to any of the Health Research Ethics Board of Alberta (HREBA) committees will be required to have an official agreement appointing HREBA as their Board of Record.
For investigators who conduct their research under the auspices of either Alberta Health Services, Covenant Health, Universities of Alberta or Calgary, the 2016 Research Ethics Reciprocity Agreement will act as this agreement – no action is required.
For investigators conducting research through private practice or other community-based organizations (both for and not-for profit), a signed Board of Record Agreement will be required before approval certificates will be released.
Implementation of this agreement is being done for two reasons:
- As per Article 6.1 of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2), if an organization appoints an external Research Ethics Board (REB) to act as its REB of Record, there must be an official agreement between the parties.
- Provides clarity, as it outlines the roles and responsibilities for the HREBA committees and that of the investigator.
Two webinars were held in July 2019 to orient and provide more information on this new requirement:
If a Board of Record Agreement is required:
- Download the applicable template below
- Read and sign the agreement (do not fill-in the effective date; this will be completed by Alberta Innovates)
- E-mail a scan of the signed agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once Alberta Innovates has signed and dated the agreement, a scan of the executed agreement will be e-mailed to the investigator
When a new application is submitted for review, ethics staff will check that an official agreement is in place. If the study is not covered by the 2016 Research Ethics Reciprocity Agreement, a fully executed Board of Record Agreement must be on file with the ethics office. If required, the investigator will be requested to send a signed agreement to email@example.com. After the agreement is signed by Alberta Innovates, the ethics approval certificate will be released, and a scan of the executed agreement will be e-mailed to the investigator.
When a modification or renewal is submitted for review, ethics staff will check that an official agreement is in place. As above, if required the investigator will be requested to send a signed agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, the ethics approval certificate will be released. After the agreement is signed by Alberta Innovates a scan of the agreement will be e-mailed to the investigator.
Note that one Board of Record Agreement is needed per investigator, regardless of how many applications are submitted for review.
- If the investigator is conducting research under the auspices of an organization (for example a private clinic), use the Organization Board of Record Agreement.
- If the investigator is conducting research independently of an organization, use the Independent Investigator Board of Record Agreement.
Questions regarding the Board of Record Agreement can be directed to email@example.com